As luck would have it, the airline mislaid my bag between Ft. Sill and St. Louis. I was dismayed at the possibility of leaving for two weeks at the other side of the world with only the clothes on my back, but luckily I was spending the night with my folks in St. Louis and the bag caught up with me in the nick of time.

We flew from St. Louis to San Francisco to catch our overseas flight. This was the longest flight any of us had ever taken and it was grueling.



China Airlines

Our flight was on China Airlines, which is still in operation. The plane was a 707, which turned out to be pretty cramped for a flight of this length.

The return home from Tokyo was on a Northwest Airlines 747. The 747 had just been put into service and its enormity was amazing after the 707. The return flight was much  more comfortable!


Our first stop was for refueling in Anchorage. I took several pictures of Alaska from the plane because I had no idea I would ever get back there. As it happens, I have on various occasions.

Anchorage Airport

In those days before draconian security it was possible to nip off the plane and out of the airport to take a picture during the short time it took to refuel the plane.

During this flight my folks allowed me to sit next to the window because they thought it would be the best place. I think it was the last time I willingly sat by the window on a long flight.


Our next stop was Taipei where we spent the night. I don't recall much about it because I was exhausted. I did buy a little egg on a stand in the hotel gift shop as a souvenir. I've never made it back to Taiwan.

Hong Kong Harbor

The next morning we arrived in Hong Kong. I think this picture was taken from the ferry between Kowloon, where the airport was located, and Hong Kong Island where we stayed.

Hong Kong Harbor from hotel

Our hotel was close to the waterfront and had a wonderful view of the harbor. It also was attached to a huge shopping mall, which put my mother in Seventh Heaven. She had a couple of dresses or suits tailored for her and I had a cheongsam made to fit me.

I still have it and it almost still fits, but its practical uses are few.

Night view of harbor

More-or-less the same view at night.

Other purchases that my mother made were a banquet-sized tablecloth that she planned to use for my wedding (long story there; sorry, Mama) and material to make new curtains for her home. She was very surprised to be told by local shopkeepers that the best fabrics came from the US. That's a sad history, but recently production has been moving back to the US.

Check out the various day trips to see more of Hong Kong Island and the surrounding areas. Then come along to Japan.

Click your "back" button to return.